Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) combines networking and security functions in the cloud to deliver secure access to applications, anywhere users work.
The core functions include:
- Software-defined wide area network (SD-WAN)
- Firewall as a service
- Secure Web Gateway (SWG)s
- Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB)
- Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA)
The goal of the SASE model is to consolidate these functions — which were traditionally delivered in siloed point solutions — in a single, integrated cloud service.
What’s driving the move to the secure access service edge?
Digital business transformation and the shift to a more distributed workforce are driving the need for anywhere, anytime access to resources, wherever they may exist.
These changes require networking and security to move to the cloud, where they can be delivered as a single converged service with flexible deployment and consumption models.
Cisco’s SASE architecture combines networking, client connectivity, security, and observability capabilities — all available through a single offer:
- Connect and secure access to applications, data, and the internet for remote workers, fixed locations, any internet-facing devices, and workloads
- Gain end-to-end observability from the user all the way to applications, over any network or cloud
- Optimize performance by ensuring the fastest, most reliable, and secure path to the cloud
- Adopt zero-trust network access by verifying the identity of users and the health of their devices to secure access to applications, on a per-session basis
- Make your business more agile by leveraging the cloud to remove complexity from your infrastructure and provide immediate scalability
Components of Cisco’s SASE architecture
- Connect with SD-WAN: Cisco SD-WAN, powered by Viptela and Meraki
- Connect with remote access: Cisco AnyConnect
- Zero Trust Network Access: Cisco Secure Access by Duo
- Control with cloud security: Cisco Umbrella (unifies firewall, secure web gateway, DNS-layer security, Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB), and threat intelligence solutions)
- Observability: Thousand Eyes